Many people visit the Solent coast. Some of their activities may disturb the birds unintentionally. When the birds are disturbed they stop feeding or worse still, fly away. It can take them a whole day to refuel the energy that this uses.
If the birds cannot feed and rest undisturbed, they will not have enough energy to survive the winter and fly back to their summer habitats.
Everyone can take action to help protect the birds of the Solent coast.
The Bird Aware Coastal Code
- Look out for birds feeding or resting on the coast
- Take care not to scare or disturb them
- Move further away if birds become alert and stop feeding
- Stay on paths where they exist
- Always follow requests on signs
- Exercise your dog away from coastal birds to avoid disturbing them
- Keep your dog in sight and on a short lead if you cannot rely on its obedience
- Please clean up after your dog
- If you are going out on the water contact the local harbour authority for special guidance
Tell your friends and family about our Coastal Code.
Map of the Special Protection Areas
Take our leaflet with you when you visit the Solent coast
For further information or advice contact us or speak to one of our rangers.